Our little family

Our little family

Monday, November 14, 2011

Our weekend at the Mayo and The play Memphis

A couple of weeks ago I received an invitation from my sweet hubby asking me to attend a night out to the Broadway show Memphis and a night at the Mayo hotel. I have been so fascinated by this hotel for years. I have watched all the news stories on it and wanted to one day stay there. I love history of all kinds. Tulsa history and architecture is beautiful. I never knew what great gems were in T-town until I took humanities in college and we took a tour of downtown. So many gorgeous buildings.

When you walk through the grand entry this is the first thing you see. Such a gorgeous lobby. The owners did a great job of capturing how the hotel looked in the twenties.
This is a view looking down from the second floor.
The lobby chandeliers and ceiling were gorgeous and I love the scrolling on the walls

These are the original elevator doors.
Here is a picture of the ballroom back in the thirties.
Here is a picture of the ballroom Saturday. I so wish I would have taken it from the same direction as the the old picture was taken. Those are the original chandeliers they were able to salvage.

Here is a picture of the hotel and the Mayo sign as we were pulling back up from our show.
We went up on the roof top patio and took pics in front of the sign.
View of the BOK Center out our window.
Me standing on the grand staircase
 The above are room pictures. It was lovely.

The cute little coffee shop just off the lobby.
We had so much fun and wanted to stay longer. Thank you to my sweet hubby for such an awesome weekend. We shopped, ate, watched a show and felt like a little part of history. The show was terrific. We loved all the music in it. The cast was outstanding. I would definitely recommend it.

The Reba concert was the same night. The next morning we found out that Reba checked in after her concert! The valet guy told us that the limo out front was hers. We waited for a bit but she never came out. We had to get on to a wedding so couldn't wait on the celebrity sighting.

2 comments:

  1. Such a neat hotel! I'd love to stay there someday, too. We saw Mephis two weeks ago (I think?), and we really liked it. What did you guys think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We thought it was very good. The music was great! I was so wrapped up in the hotel I forgot to write about the show.

    ReplyDelete