Our little family

Our little family

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Half Marathon

Last Sunday Katie and I ran the Tulsa Route 66 half marathon (13mi). Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would run that far. When I started running last year it was never my intentions to run long distances. My plan was to get in shape for some 5K's and do a few of them through the year. My main goal was to get in shape for summer. For my New Year's resolution I decided I wanted to work out for a full year. I always start the year off great and trail off by summer or fall. I've never stayed consistent. I spent a lot of time on the treadmill last winter and then moved to some outside runs once summer hit. I went for a few runs while in Branson, at church camp and I took off the week we went to Disney. I did enough walking to compensate. I usually use vacations as a chance to slack. I have gotten so used to running or doing Taebo that I feel guilty if I don't do it. I could never have stepped up my mileage if it weren't for Katie. She has helped push me and kept me going. Thank you Katie for motivating me and pushing me to achieve more. I couldn't ask for a better workout/running partner. I love my bff and the time we spend together.

Katie asked if I wanted to do the Tulsa Run (15K/9mi) with her. I reluctantly agreed because I was unsure of myself and if I could go that far. Every time the marathon was mentioned I just blew it off never thinking it was attainable for me. After the 9mi run we did 10 miles to stay in shape and because Katie had signed up for the half marathon. I figured I would just support her and shoot for 10 miles. I did it! I made it 10 miles. So the week before Route 66 I signed up to run the half with her. I was scared to death all week long. I have never gone that far and was scared I couldn't do it. My goal was to make it 10 miles during that run with out stopping. I did it, I made my goal. We got a drink and walked a few minutes. Cris a friend from church also ran with us. Thank you Katie and Cris for staying with me and helping me to complete this goal. Katie and I crossed the finish line together. I've been so excited all week and want to run more now that the race is over. I am so proud of us stay at home mommy's for setting a goal and attaining it. Congrats Katie for all you have accomplished this year. I am so proud of you! If we can do it anyone can do it!



Here we come! Cris, me and Katie
There we go crossing the finish line. Our actual time was 2:33:15. We started on the third gun shot.

WE DID IT!!!!
Here we are getting our finishers medals

2 comments:

  1. so proud of y'all! isn't it such a wonderful feeling crossing that finish line? great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Megan! Yes, the finish line never looked so great!!!

    ReplyDelete